In 1949, entrepreneurs using simple antennas and Army-surplus coaxial cable created the country’s first cable television system and revolutionized the way Americans watched TV. More than fifty years later, Time Warner Cable, as the 2nd largest multiple service provider, owns and manages advanced, well-clustered cable systems in the United States. Today, Time Warner Cable offers cutting edge digital technology, a rich range of home entertainment and information choices for the whole family to enjoy, and superior service that demonstrates customer satisfaction is our number one priority.
Time Warner Cable has a long history of leadership within our industry and has led the way in technical innovation through the use of fiber optics to improve and expand our cable products and services.
- In 1994, Time Warner Cable became the first cable company to be honored with an Emmy® Award by winning the Engineering Award for Outstanding Achievement in Technological Development. This recognized our pioneering work in using fiber optics to transmit broadband signals, a development that helped enable the convergence of the cable television, computer and telephone industries. In addition, the company has earned two more Emmy Awards for Video on Demand and Start Over.
- By 2001, we completed a nationwide system upgrade to create a hybrid fiber coaxial cable network, resulting in the development of new, exciting services including Digital Cable, Video on Demand, Digital Video Recorder, High Definition Television (HDTV), High Speed Online access via cable modem, Digital Phone, Start Over, Quick Clips, Active Advertising and more.
- In 2002, we launched Video on Demand, allowing customers to order movies and other programming instantly and to control the program with features like rewind, fast-forward, pause and stop.
- Through Road Runner and other ISP providers, Time Warner Cable has more than 8 million residential High-Speed Data customers. We also offer a Wireless Home Networking service, which gives all computers in a home access to a single high-speed cable modem.
- Headquartered in New York, NY, Time Warner Cable is the second-largest cable operator in the U.S., with technologically advanced, well-clustered systems located mainly in five geographic areas — New York State (including New York City), the Carolinas, Ohio, southern California (including Los Angeles) and Texas. As of September 30, 2008, Time Warner Cable served approximately 14.7 million customers who subscribed to one or more of its video, high-speed data and voice services, representing approximately 34.2 million revenue generating units.
- Time Warner Cable serves customers in the following 28 states: Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Maine, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, Nebraska, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Texas, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia and Wisconsin. Go to Our Locations
- Time Warner Cable employs more than 46,000 people across the U.S.
- Time Warner Cable owns and provides customers with exclusive, local, all-news TV channels in New York, North Carolina and Texas that give viewers content targeted to their community interests and concerns.
- 14.7 million customer relationships
- 8.7 million Digital Video customers
- 8.6 million high-speed data services to residential customers and a growing number of business customers
- 3.9 million residential Digital Phone subscribers
*Numbers based on 1st Quarter, 2009 financial results.